You have probably heard how important it is to integrate your website with social media for optimal SEO effectiveness. But what does that mean in real terms? It means finding a way to share the content on your primary website to channels like Facebook and Twitter in order to:
- drive traffic
- build loyalty
- increase conversion rates
- improve search engine ranking.
The idea behind social media integration is to create new links to your primary website by sharing your content in a way that encourages your social media followers to share it as well. Every share helps improve your online reputation and search engine performance.
With all of that said, there is an easy way to integrate your WordPress website with Twitter. Some nine years after Twitter was established, developers released an official plugin in 2015. There were hundreds of other plugins in play at the time. But there is something to be said about an official plugin developed and supported by Twitter itself.
According to the official plugin page on the WordPress.org website, Twitter’s official WP plugin offers the following functionality:
- Embed Twitter Content – You can embed a single tweet, video, moment, or Twitter collection simply by pasting a URL directly into your content. The plugin offers customization through shortcodes.
- Vine Embedding – Vines can also be embedded by adding a URL to your content.
- Tweet Buttons – Tweet buttons can be easily added to your pages and posts. The buttons encourage others to share your content in their own Twitter feeds. These can be customized or left to share your content automatically when the button is pushed.
- Follow Buttons – By using a shortcode, a WP widget, or a Twitter profile link in a public post, you can insert follow buttons that encourage your readers to follow you on Twitter.
- Twitter Cards and Bylines – The plugin automatically generates Twitter cards and bylines. If you know what these are, you need no further explanation.
There are a few other features included in the plugin that we have not listed here. If you want to know more, just visit the official plugin page on the WordPress.org website. Should you decide to download and install the plugin, it’s as easy as using any other plugin.
Creating High-Quality Content
Assuming you plan to download and install the Twitter plugin, there is one thing you need to know: integrating your WordPress site with Twitter will not do much good for your SEO performance unless you create high-quality content worth sharing. No one wants to tweet boring content that will not hit home with their followers, so do not jeopardize your online reputation by not providing quality material worth tweeting.
The content you want to be shared across Twitter should be relevant and up-to-date. It should be free of spelling errors and grammar mistakes as well. Above all, it should not be plagiarized content. Stealing content from others is a good way to get your website punished by the major search engines.